Best Automatic Center Punch is a very important tool for professionals who regularly need to drill holes. This must-have tool helps workers direct the drill bit to a center that allows perfect drilling accuracy. You can use it on walls, metals, and any other surface you want.
An automatic center punch makes perfect drilling possible. So, if you are not a professional, just a DIY worker, you can have this tool for making drill holes easier and drill accurate holes.
We have selected seven automatic center punches based on the customer reviews and product features. You will find the features in our buying guide in such a way that is easy for you, and we will answer some FAQs for you as well.
Let’s mark the beginning then!
Best Automatic Center Punch Reviewed – Our Top 7 Picks
Our top picks are within your budget and have all the premium features you would want from your tools.
Neiko is a very premium brand when it comes to tools for craftsmen. This Neiko 02638A Automatic Center Hole Punch is the highest reviewed punch on Amazon. Now, let’s review the features that have earned it so many recommendations.
The Neiko 02638A 5” Automatic Center Punch is made with sharp steel, and the punch tip is constructed with premium steel. The tip makes the tool durable and long lasting. It retains sharpness over many uses over many years of use.
This high-quality adjustable center punch comes with a spring action-loaded mechanism. You can easily adjust the force through which the center punch can make a dimple through the wooden surface, plastic, glass, mild steel, and leather. These are perfect for your home projects.
The Neiko Automatic Center Punch body is a chrome-plated shank body that can withstand high impacts and last for years. The S2 steel tips or high-speed steel are perfect for hard surfaces.
There is a knurled handle that allows you to hold the non slip handle without any worry. This makes the handle dirt and corrosion resistant. The Neiko Automatic Center Punch is a perfect tool for punching applications.
The spring loaded mechanism is switched by a simple screw cap that allows you to adjust the depth of the dent. It has durable construction and has a comfortable grip with a ball hand. The extreme precision level of this punch is very high and very convenient.
The price of the Neiko Automatic Center Punch is in the affordable range. It is a perfect tool for professionals and DIY workers.
- #1 on the review list of automatic center punches
- Spring-loaded mechanism with better spring tension
- Made of hardened steel with heavy-duty tip
- Adjustable cap for adjustable spring tension
- Traditional center punch with adjustable striking maximum force
- Chrome-plated shank body for durability
- Knurled finger grip, knurled handle for extra grip can withstand high impact force
- Affordable price for automatic punch tool for your toolbox
- There are fake automatic punch tools; make sure to buy from a verified seller or from Amazon
Starrett company is a very famous brand in the carpentry and machinist tool market. Starrett 18A Automatic Center Punch is a premium product from a premium brand.
The Starrett 18A Automatic Center Punch is made with premium steel. The punch tip of the tool comes with a conical point. The conical point makes a very substantial indentation on the surface where you will drill holes.
This allows the Starrett 18A Automatic Center Punch to make drill holes on the same spot, and the hardened steel material makes it durable and functional for a long time. This steel center punch is less likely to fracture and reduces off center blow. In addition, it has a steel tip that is adjustable in force. The cap is screwed up or down to make the punch force lighter or harder.
Starrett’s 130 years of manufacturing experience is a very good testimony of the quality of this tool. You can remove the point to regrind after use to sharpen the tip in times of need. There are 4 sizes 8ths, 16ths, 32nds, 64ths.
The Starrett 18A Center Punch eliminates the use of the hammer anymore, reduces the weight of the hammer carrying, and is very small to carry in your pocket. It is a great friend of the carpenter and machinists.
- Traditional punch with varying striking force
- Knurled handle for extra grip, can withstand high impact force
- One year manufacturer defect warranty
- Hardened steel with heavy-duty tip
- Chrome-plated shank body for durability
- Price is a bit high, although less than the Starrett 18C Automatic Center Punch
Sandor Automatic Center Punch is one of the high-quality center punches perfect for professionals and DIY workers’ home improvement projects. Its features are very premium, and many users and experts highly recommend it.
Sandor Automatic Center Punch is an automatic hand punch tool that has a strong spring loaded mechanism. You can use it for making a dent and solid mark in metal, wood surfaces, soft metal, steel, aluminum, hardened brass, copper, and other strong surfaces.
Sandor automatic center punch is an industrially forged brass center punch that can be used to work even in tighter spots. The forged, machined brass body is knurled for good grip and non slip, precise, easy handling, and better control.
The metal on this automatic center punch is hardened, and chrome plated tip lasts for hundreds of uses. It has an adjustable tip with a tension screw, which is very helpful for one hand operation. This eliminates the need for a hammer
This tool is perfect as an emergency escape tool and glass window breaker. In addition, it can shatter glass car windows, metal, soft metal, steel, aluminum, brass, and copper. Sandor Automatic Center Punch is one tool for all your needs. You can use this tool for your work, DIY home improvements; this is perfect for your budget.
- Spring-loaded mechanism with better tension
- It can be used as an emergency tool
- Hardened steel bit for hard objects, with heavy-duty tip
- Varying striking force
- Chrome-plated shank body for durability
- Knurled handle and body, and knurled end grip, can withstand high impact applied force
- Affordable price comes in packs of 2 of an automatic punch tool
- Some products are poorly made, no adjustable tension lever
The Horusdy super-strong automatic centre punch is the next on our list. This is a high-quality, premium center punch on the field of carpentry and machinists.
Horusdy automatic centre punch comes with an adjustable spring loaded pieces design. This spring loaded punch mechanism variable impact strength to efficiently work for your need; you can adjust the impact strength for various materials.
The tip of the Horusdy automatic centre punch is hardened for durability and long service life. It is a one handed tool for your work. You have to press firmly against it for an automatic center punch.
The Horusdy automatic centre punch is manufactured with a chrome finish and knurled body that gives you an extra grip. A nonslip grip keeps the control of the tool on your hand.
The spring loaded mechanism makes repeatable impact easier. Horusdy automatic centre punch tip is made with hardened chrome vanadium steel.
The two pack center punch comes at an affordable price for you. Even if you are a non professional, you can use this tool without all the prior experience.
- Traditional center punch with varying striking force of extreme strength
- Knurled body and handle heavy-duty work tool for heavy-duty use
- Knurled grip for better grip, better safety tool
- Can withstand high-impact force
- Hardened tempered head steel chrome vanadium tip for extra durable
- Heavy-duty hardened tip
- Adjustable impact with spring tension lever to hit hard metals
- Chrome-plated shank body for durability
- Few users had complaints about the silver one
General tools are the leading brand of tools that are very famous around the world. It is harder to find someone who hasn’t heard of this brand or hasn’t seen their tool! The General Tools 89 Stainless Steel Automatic Center Punch is a very popular center punch tool among professionals. It has all the top features that you need for your work.
The General Tools 89 Automatic Center is made with s stainless steel body with a rounded shank body. This makes the tool durable, and the specially designed ergonomic design makes it easier and comfortable to work with. The General Tools 89 Automatic Center is a one hand tool.
The manufacturers make sure of the strong impact with a powerful spring; the spring mechanism makes it easy to use by one hand. You can adjust the spring tension for heavy strokes or tiny dimples.
You can use this tool for marking, punching bit, and stalking. There are mark hole locations for you that prevent the drill bits from moving around while drilling, making sure the drill is perfect.
The finger grip of the punch is knurled for non slip grip. This makes sure the tool doesn’t slip away from your hands while using. It is a perfect tool for home improvement projects for tradesmen, craftsmen, and DIYers. This makes sure you work smarter, measure better & be more productive.
The price of the General Tools 89 Automatic Center is affordable. The price depends on the packages, and it comes with a 90 days warranty for you. The warranty covers the part and workmanship. So, you can be sure that you’re buying a quality tool. You can buy it without any worry or doubt.
- Can withstand high impact force
- It has an adjustable stroke
- Traditional center punch with varying striking force
- Knurled handle for extra grip
- Hardened, tempered steel
- Adjustable spring tension lever for hard metal and soft metals and other hard material
- 90 days warranty on parts, no extra tools needed
- Sometimes, it doesn’t work on metal
Fowler is one of the top brands of tools in the world today. They are a very dear friend of the tradesmen and craftsmen around the world. This Automatic Center Punch is one of their finest products on the market. We will look at the features that it comes with.
The Fowler Automatic Center Punch is made with steel. The premium steel makes the tool very durable, rust-resistant, resist corrosion. The construct of the tool makes it very suitable; it absorbs and withstands high impacts.
There are four knurled bands for extra, sturdy, and non slip grip. The overall length of the tool is 6 inches. You can carry the tool in your pocket. The body diameter of the tool is 5/8th of an inch.
There are movable components; these are made from hardened steel. You can remove the tip and point for sharpening after use.
You can adjust the pressure of the marking with the knurled cap. You can screw the cap down to make a heavy mark and screw up for light-duty center punch marking.
The price of the Fowler Automatic Center Punch is on the higher tag of money. But its quality is of a high-end product, and it almost deserves the higher price tag.
- Can withstand the high impact force of deeper dimple
- Deeply knurled surface
- Four knurled bands for non slip grip
- Knurled cap for adjustable spring tension
- Hardened steel tip
- Adjustable lever for hard metal
- Price can be a bit high
This is another General Tools product on our list. This is made with alloy steel for durability and longevity because of the material. The hardened steel tip is replaceable. That makes sure you can use more than one tool with the center punch.
The General Tools 87 Pocket Automatic Center Punch works on metal, wood, plastic, and other materials just as well. Strong spring loaded internal mechanism makes sure you get a strong punch for punching, marking, scribing, and starting nail or screw holes.
The lighter materials made aluminum body and the sharpened tip make it functional and portable simultaneously. It is like a pencil, a pencil size for easy carry. And it has a pocket clip to keep it safe.
The price of the General Tools 87 Center Punch is very affordable. You can buy multiple for yourself, so you have backups.
- Hardened steel tip can withstand high impact force
- Hardened steel with heavy-duty automatic center punch tip
- Adjustable spring tension lever for hard metal
- Replaceable bit for easy bit replacement
- Conventional center punch
- Body length- pocket sized for your convenience
- Only downside
Buying Guide for Best Automatic Center Punch
An automatic center punch is a very useful tool for craftsmen and DIYers. You mark the place where you will drill, and in the small dimple, it is easier to drill holes.
It would help if you were on the lookout for a few features while you shop for an automatic center punch. We will list the features in our buying guide for you. Our list of features is the result of expert opinions on the matter. These features will certainly make your job easier and ensure you get the right tool.
The power of your automatic center punch is the most important buying consideration for you. Power makes sure that the dent on the surface is marked, and it makes the drill holes easier.
The material of the center punch is very important. The durability and the functionality of the center punch depend entirely on the material. You should consider the material when you are shopping for a center punch.
There are a variety of materials. There are various types of steel like hardened steel, stainless steel, and other types of premium steel. The material with which the center punch is constructed makes the punch usable and durable.
3. Bit Sharpness
The center punch sharpness is very important because this makes the dimple created on the surface a usable dimple. If the tip is not sharp enough, the dimple will not be very firm and accurate, and the drilling can be inaccurate and unusable.
The mark of the punch is very important, and the sharpness of the bit makes the dimple very sharp and accurate for you to drill holes on.
4. Spring Mechanism
The spring loaded mechanism of the automatic center punch uses the spring tension to make precise markings. The spring loaded center punches allow you to apply downward pressure, and the tip makes the dent on the accurate target. The spring needs to be strong to generate enough force to make a dent on any surface.
There are newer center punches with two springs; these can make a precise dent on any hard surface like steel. One spring models are good too, but they are a bit weaker.
Whatever the material you are working on, whether you are a professional or DIY project, the adjustability of the center punches is a very important consideration. The adjustability of the punches makes it possible for you to use the tool on various materials like wood, metal, steel, car window, plastic, etc.
There is material specific automatic center punch as well. These can be used on only one type of surface and material.
You can use the automatic center punch as a one-handed tool. Even then, you need to feel comfortable working with this tool. It needs to have a non-slip grip, knurled handles, and rounded edges that feel ergonomic and give you a better grip.
Make sure that you have a comfortable handle for working while buying any tool that spends much time within your palm.
7. Shock Absorption
There are a few models that come with shock absorbers. These shock absorbers on the handle protect your hands from impact and shock when the tip hits the surface.
This makes sure you don’t hurt your hand and keeps your center punch safe from damage as well.
Using an automatic center punch can be straining work. Even though it is a one handed tool, it needs to be comfortable while using. This makes sure you can use the tool for as long as you want.
An automatic center punch is generally a small tool. It is usually portable, but there are options that are not as portable as others. The portability is a convenience issue, to be frank.
There are pocket size options for you that make it very easy to carry.
The price of a product is a very important consideration. An automatic center punch is not all that expensive. There are expensive options available. This doesn’t always mean that the pricier ones are better. The price depends on other accessories, and warranty, and other features.
Our list features the top-notch products that will give you the best value for your money. These options are worth each penny!
How It Works – A Few Tips
- You can save time and energy by using an automatic center punch. You make a dimple on the location you want to drill through using it. You may enlarge the dimple on some versions to accommodate the size of your drill bit. It’s through this dimple that you’ll drill. It is not likely that the drill will slip while drilling through the indentation. This not only makes drilling easier but it also assures that the final product is faultless. It also protects the user from being injured by a sliding drill.
- An automatic center punch operates in a straightforward yet effective manner. To begin, you must first determine where you intend to drill. Tightly grip the handle of the tool with your dominant hand. The majority of them contain features that prevent the instrument from slipping from your grip while you’re operating. Turn on the handle to vary the impact tension depending on the material you’re dealing with. This adjusts the tension on the inner spring to your specifications. Apply downward pressure on the handle slowly but firmly. The punches create dimples automatically when the tip collides with the surface you’re working on.
- That’s all there is to it. Drill through as many dimples as you’d like. You don’t have to be concerned about your hand being hurt because most of them contain safeguards that protect it from the force of the impact. Because the other hand is free, you can use it to help steady the work surface. You don’t have to be the two of you, and you don’t have to have a harmer.
We prepared this list based on the highest reviewed products on the market and the best features. The reviews are from the users and customers, and the best features are from the experts in the field.
We may have missed a product that you may want to see reviewed. We understand that, and we would like to get your recommendations. Please write to us.
Thanks for taking the time for reading! Please do share this piece.
Can you sharpen the tip of an automatic center punch?
Ans: An angle gauge can sharpen the tip of a center punch and optical center punch. Some people use aluminum foil to sharpen the tips of the optical center punch.
How do you use an automatic center hole punch?
Ans: You make a dimple on the location you want to drill through using it. Then you drill hole through this dimple.
How do you use an automatic center punch with a brass body and handle?
Ans: The brass-handle automatic center punch is used in the same as any other punch.
What advantages do automatic center punch has over manual ones?
Ans: Automatic center punches can be used with the need of a hammer, while manual center punch like Rennsteig automatic center punch needs hammers. These handy tools can be used to make convenient holes for your work needs.
What is an automatic center punch used for?
Ans: The automatic center punch is used to mark a hole where you use the drill to make a hole for your work. Once you have a small hole where you need it, you can drill through the precise place you want to drill.
Why do I need the best automatic center punch?
Ans: You will need an automatic center punch to make a hole on the wall and other surfaces like metal and wood.